The Hewlett-Packard company makes some of the best laptop and desktop computers out there.
HP laptops and desktops are amazing, and they work without flaws most of the time.
So, if you have a newly acquired HP computer, then you might be wondering how to take screenshots on it.
Fortunately, taking a screenshot on an HP desktop or laptop is a walk in the park, and we are going to show you how to do it now.
Keep on reading to learn more about:
- How to screenshot on HP laptop or desktop;
- Different ways to take a screenshot on an HP computer;
- What to know about screenshots on HP laptops.
How to Screenshot on HP Laptop or Desktop
Whether you have an HP Elitebook, HP Pavilion, HP Envy Laptop, or HP Chromebook, your computer runs on either Windows or Chrome Operating Systems.
Therefore, taking screenshots or Snap screenshots on HP will always be a quite straightforward process regardless of the Operating System you use.
There are three main ways to take a screenshot on HP laptop and desktop computers, and we are going to show you them all!
Method 1: Use the Print Screen Key
The most basic way to take a screenshot on your HP device is to use the print screen key.
You can find this shortcut key on your keyboard, also known as the PRTSC Key.
Every simple keyboard has this key, and you can use it to take a screenshot on HP like this:
- Go to the active window you want to screenshot on your HP laptop or desktop computer;
- Press the PRTSC Key one time. A screenshot of your entire screen will be taken and automatically copied to your computer’s clipboard;
- Open an image editing program. You can use any tool, such as Paint or Photoshop;
- Here, select “Paste” and the image will be pasted on the white overlay of the program;
- At last, select the Save icon, and choose the image file (PNG or JPEG file) and the screenshots folder.
Method 2: Use the Windows Key + Shift + S Shortcut
The previous method is really useful, but it just takes screenshots of your whole computer screen.
If you don’t want to take a screenshot of your whole screen, and instead you need partial screenshots, then you need to follow another alternative.
- Go to the window where you want to capture the partial screen;
- On your keyboard, select the Windows Key + Shift + S;
- Select the desired area on this single window that you want to capture using the pointed cursor of your mouse;
- Open an image editing tool, whichever you want, and press CTRL + V to paste the screenshot;
- Go to the Save option and save the screenshot wherever you want!
Method 3: Use the Windows Snipping Tool
Last but not least, Windows Vista, 7, 8, and 10 users have access to the built-in Windows Snipping Tool.
You don’t need to download the Snipping tool – it is already integrated into the start menu of your computer.
Therefore, in order to use it, you just need to do the following:
- Open the Windows Menu and look for the Window Snipping Tool. You can use the search bar to find it if you must;
- Open the app, and select “New” on the Snipping Tool toolbar at the top row of the app.
Here, you will have multiple options:
- Window Snip, where you can take a screenshot of your active Window and scrolling screen;
- Free-form Snip, which allows you to take screenshots in free-form mode;
- Full-screen snip captures, which take pictures of the whole screen;
- Rectangular Snip, which allows you to make a rectangular outline of your portioned screen using your crosshair cursor;
- Take the screenshot with the Snipping Tool, and it will be automatically saved on your documents.
Do You Need Third-Party Applications to Take Full-Screen Capture on HP?
Not necessarily. There are third-party apps that include a camera icon or recorder icon where screenshotting and video grabbing are possible.
Nonetheless, for practical purposes, you don’t necessarily need to download them in order to take a screenshot.
Thankfully, HP computers are already equipped with the aforementioned options, which means that taking a screenshot is something rather elementary that doesn’t need an extra step whatsoever.
Where Does HP Laptop Save Screenshots?
Depending on how you take the screenshot on your HP device, you have two ways to check where did the screenshot go:
- If you take a screen shot by using shortcuts or the PRTSCR key, then you are the one who decides where to find screenshots. Since you use image software to save them after pasting them, you will be able to access them by opening the desired folder you chose;
- If you take a screen shot using the Snipping Tool, you must go to the screenshot, open File Location, and it will most likely be placed in a folder named Screenshots.
Either way, most times you will be able to find saved HP screen shots on the My Documents folders without further inconveniences.
How to Delete HP Screenshots
Last but not least, you can delete those screenshots that were mistakenly saved or erroneously taken.
- Open the folder where you decided to save the screenshots;
- Locate the screenshot you want to delete;
- Press the Delete key, or right-click on the screenshot and select the Delete option.
The files will be moved to the Trash Folder, where you can later entirely delete them by trashing them all out.
How to Take a Screenshot on an HP Laptop Without Print Screen Button?
You have two options here: use the Windows + S + Shift shortcut, or use the Windows Snipping Tool. Both of these alternatives do not require you to use the Print Screen key, so you will be good to go!